Plumbing in the Home/toilets

QUESTION: Why do our toilets get black spotty mold under the seats and around the rim? My husband thinks it is from the difference in the temperature of the water and air. I have tried leaving the seats up most of the time but it still happens. Could it be because we now have plastic seats instead of the wooden ones?

ANSWER: Dear Ellen,

I'm afraid that mold will probably be an ongoing battle for you.  Since it keeps returning, I would suspect that there is mold elsewhere nearby- perhaps under the toilet at the floor or between the tank and the bowl.  Mold spreads by spores, and it grows and proliferates in damp areas... you can try a thorough cleaning with a bleach solution.  If that doesn't work you may want to hire a professional at mold eradication.

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response. We don't have a mold problem and I already use bleach on almost everything because I hate mold. Could it have anything to due with fact that we now have plastic seats? Since we never had the problem with the wooden seats.
Thanks again

Dear Ellen,

A lot of the plastics that are made today have antibiotic properties that can prevent mold and mildew from growing.  The reason I mention mold in hidden areas is because it keeps returning.  There are some areas that you cannot see to clean.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.