Plumbing in the Home/bath faucets

Question
i have purchased what i believe to be a "vessel" bathroom sink. i call it this because it sits largely above the vanity top and has no holes for a faucet (one or three). so now i need to buy a faucet and i see "vessel fillers" and single hole faucets. is there a difference between these? I'm thinking that a single hole faucet could be installed on the vanity deck which will be tile as easily as to a sink(as long as the height and spout length are adequate). i guess my basic questions are: 1) Whats the difference between a vessel filler and a single hole faucet? And if the answer to #1 doesn't cover it: 2)can they be used interchangeably?     
i would sure appreciate you setting me straight in this.  
i am... confused.
thanks

Answer
Hi Thomas,
Lets see if I can add to the confusion! LOL  A "vessel filler/faucet" is a single hole mount faucet. the main difference is the reach. these are designed to clear a sink rim that is not flush with the counter top.  Also, the vessel faucets typically have the controls on the top as opposed to on the deck beside the spout.  A regular single hole mount faucet with a high goose neck might have the reach but the handles are usually mounted too low for a vessel sink.
Best,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick