Plumbing in the Home/bath faucets


i have purchased what i believe to be a "vessel" bathroom sink. i call it this because it sits largely above the vanity top and has no holes for a faucet (one or three). so now i need to buy a faucet and i see "vessel fillers" and single hole faucets. is there a difference between these? I'm thinking that a single hole faucet could be installed on the vanity deck which will be tile as easily as to a sink(as long as the height and spout length are adequate). i guess my basic questions are: 1) Whats the difference between a vessel filler and a single hole faucet? And if the answer to #1 doesn't cover it: 2)can they be used interchangeably?     
i would sure appreciate you setting me straight in this.  
i am... confused.

Hi Thomas,
Lets see if I can add to the confusion! LOL  A "vessel filler/faucet" is a single hole mount faucet. the main difference is the reach. these are designed to clear a sink rim that is not flush with the counter top.  Also, the vessel faucets typically have the controls on the top as opposed to on the deck beside the spout.  A regular single hole mount faucet with a high goose neck might have the reach but the handles are usually mounted too low for a vessel sink.

Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dana Bostick


Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.


Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Awards and Honors
Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Past/Present Clients
Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal

©2017 All rights reserved.