Plumbing in the Home/extend thing lead drain pipe

Question
toilet drain
toilet drain  
Hello Jay.  I had a main drain line backup and water stated leaking from under the toilet.  I cleared the drain blockage and planed on resetting the toilet assuming the wax ring seal was broken.  When I removed the toilet, I found a thin lead drain pipe and the flange was just sort of hovering over it barely held in place by rusted out screws.  The lead drain pipe is about 2 inched below floor level.  Iím thinking to concrete the hole around the drain to floor level. I need help to figure out how to attach PVC or any other type of pipe to the lead drain.   I need to extend the lead drain about two inches to reach floor level. How can I add an extension and make it watertight?  I was thinking about digging down around the drain a few more inches, insert 3Ē PVC with some sort of rubber gasket or wrap, use a screw on clamp around the lead drain, and concrete around to floor level.  Do you have a better suggestion?  I donít think replacing the whole lead drain is an option.  Also Iím not really sure of if a rubber gasket/wrap exists for a 3 inch pipe.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Answer
Alex,
More than likely the lead pipe is an extention old a cast iron line. I would try digging down a few more incheds and see if there is a cast line. Sometimes the old plumbers used a lead elbow so they could attach a flange to bolt the toilet to. If you find the cast iron pipe you can then get a PVC expandable flange assembly. They are inserted into the pipe and through a series of gaskets, expand and seal themselves to the inside of the pipe. If you find that they did use a lead bend(elbow) then the only real way to repair it permanently is to dig back until tou find the pipe and attach new PVC by means of a Ferco  or No-Hub band then a new elbow followed by a toilet(closet) flange at the finished floor level. You can not attach  a clamp to lead. Its too soft and too thin. Keep in mind that any repair must be water and sewer gas tight.

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas