Plumbing in the Home/Foul Odor coming from Kitchen sink

Hi, thank you for taking my question. We have been experiencing a sewer like odor coming from our kitchen sink. It  really is bad when you run water down the drain. It appears to be occurring only in the kitchen sink at least on a consistent basis. The problem has gotten worse over time. We have a septic tank which has recently been cleaned out. We had a new roof put on several months ago and I had the roofer come out the other day to check the vents. It appeared to be in order. Not sure what to do next and wanted to get your thoughts.

Dear Bill,  The vent was my initial guess about the problem here... but the problem could be slightly deeper than that.  If it were me, I would snake the pipe from the roof vent far enough to have reached the 3 or 4 inch main line.  I would do this with water running in the sink to flush away the debris and help clean it, but if you don't have a helper, then I would run the snake out and run the water on the way back while pulling the snake out.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.