Plumbing in the Home/plumbing

Good Evening,
Tonight I noticed there was brown water in my washing machine and in my sink which are both located in the basement of my split level home. A noise was heard in the downstairs bathroom when my daughter was washing dishes upstairs in the kitchen.Can you please advise me what could be happening and why?
Thank you

Hi Cheryl,
Is this water from the faucets or backing up from the drains?

If its from the faucets, it is likely rusty water from old galvanized pipes.  The only fix for that is to replace the pipes.

I would recommend that you have a local plumber investigate the situation.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal