Plumbing in the Home/Pumptrol - Water Pump Pressure Switch

Question
Bob,  I live in a rural area and have dealt with wells and changing my own pumps and pressure switches for some time now.  The last time I changed the switch, I found a Square D Pumptrol 40-60 PSI that had a throw-out switch that would shut off the pump at low pressure.  This has saved the pump from burning up several times due to livestock breaking a line, etc.  Yesterday the points/contacts stuck and the heat caused the white plastic part that carries the points to be damaged. I looked al over town for the same switch but could not find one.  I did buy a similar switch without the throw-out built in.  Looking  at the part that was damaged I wonder if it would be possible to just change that part out and use the old switch body.  Looking at it further, there is a small spring at the bottom of the assembly that seems impossible to access.  I found an old switch in the pump shed and took it apart before I take the new one apart.  Is there a trick to re-assembling this into the switch body or should I just install the whole new switch until I find the one I want and change it out then?

Answer
Used to be you could buy a rebuild kit for the Square D switches.  I don't know if they are available these days or not.  They got to be so expensive that most people just bought a new switch.  Today, the Chinese knockoffs are as good or maybe even better than the Square D's.  Their quality has gone progressively down hill over the years.

I have the Merrill on my site for sale for $9.56 each.  They are the Chinese version but do the same thing.  Square D's are probably double or even triple that price.
http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/Wells/water_well_acc_.htm

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor