Plumbing in the Home/toilet installations

I recently had my old toilet replaced for the newer ones to save water. The plumber installed the tank and it is not set steady but moves if you even but put your hand on it. I was not happy when he installed it and said that that's the way it would move as the preexisting one was bigger and he put a piece of plywood behind it to keep it from moving. I am still not happy as it looks like an unprofessional job. I've seen these at old establishments and the tanks don't move. He also said he can't tighten the screw to hold both the tank and seat because it could break. And then to top it off, the screw caps at the bottom are not glued together because he said the screws are too long. Shouldn't he have brought the tools to take care of these kinds of problems? He convinced my husband that that's what everyone will do to remedy the unstable tank. I am not convinced. Can you help me please? Thank you.

Hi Esther,
I agree, sloppy and unprofessional work.  Back in the day, toilets were "roughed in" at 14" from the back wall.  Currently, they are standardly 12", hence the space behind the tank.

Modern, 14" rough toilets ARE available to deal with this. Did you provide the toilet or did the plumber? If they did, make them come back and replace it with the proper 14" rough toilet and bring the proper tools to cut down the closet bolts so the caps fit. That's just a stupid answer, "the bolts are too long"!  Excuse Me?  Are yo a moron or what?

The tank should be secured to the bowl firmly with NO movement.  It is even more likely to break if it's loose.  I would stop any payment to this guy and find a different plumber that is licensed and professional. This guy does not even qualify as a handy man.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal