Plumbing in the Home/vanity

Question
hi,
we bought a new vanity hooked it up to the plumbing,when you fill up the sink then drain it ,there is a pipe in the basement beside the hotwater tank like an overflow pipe? isnt closed off ,you can hear the water goimg down the pipes and reaches this one and flows up over top of the pipe on to the floor

Answer
Hi Karen,
First, there shouldn't be any open pipes in a sanitary waste system. Open pipes will allow sewer gas to enter the living spaces and that is not healthy. If water is backing up and overflowing, that drain line probably needs to be snaked out because it's not draining properly.

I really have no idea what the plumbing codes are in Canada so you would have to check with a local plumber to find out what this pipe is and if it's correctly installed.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick