Plumbing in the Home/vanity

we bought a new vanity hooked it up to the plumbing,when you fill up the sink then drain it ,there is a pipe in the basement beside the hotwater tank like an overflow pipe? isnt closed off ,you can hear the water goimg down the pipes and reaches this one and flows up over top of the pipe on to the floor

Hi Karen,
First, there shouldn't be any open pipes in a sanitary waste system. Open pipes will allow sewer gas to enter the living spaces and that is not healthy. If water is backing up and overflowing, that drain line probably needs to be snaked out because it's not draining properly.

I really have no idea what the plumbing codes are in Canada so you would have to check with a local plumber to find out what this pipe is and if it's correctly installed.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal