Plumbing in the Home/water heater flush

Question
I have been putting off a heater flush for years because I am uncomfortable re-lighting the thing. The gas company won't send someone to monitor me. Surely attaching a long hose and giving it a quick drain for a few seconds would at least get rid of part of the sediment and be a solution that could be done more often? I mean, as long as some water is left in the tank...

Answer
Dear Jim,

Don't worry too much about doing the drain without shutting the gas off completely.  You can turn the control valve on the water heater to the PILOT setting, then only the pilot will stay on.  The main gas burner will not light.  Then you can drain the water and refill the tank before turning the valve back to the ON position at which point it will heat the water.  Doing this, you should not have to deal with re-lighting the pilot.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler