Plumbing in the Home/clogged toilet

Question
QUESTION: My daughter has been having trouble with her toilet getting clogged over and over again. There have been several plumbers coming and doing the same thing and it keeps getting clogged. The water won't go and the  feces comes out of the tub drain. I don't know what else to do except resort to you the experts. I will try to explain the whole situation as much as I can to see if you can help me. ( She has spent lots of money in the last month as the plumbing problem has not gone away.) She lives in a rented house built built in 1998, has a water-efficient toilet, uses White Cloud toilet paper after changing from Charmin Extra Soft, regular Charmin, Cottonelle, and other similar types. I have told her to change to Scott Tissue regular 1000 sheets  but says her husband doesn't like it. Also, the last time the plumber told her that you can't use that much toilet paper at the same time because it clogs up the toilet. The closest to Scott was Angel Soft and Northern but it still clogs it up. Could anything be stuck that is causing the problem? Can anybody PLEASE help me asap as it clogged again for the 5th time in a month? The plumbers' bills are too very high.

ANSWER: Dear Esther,

When a clog causes sewerage to come up through the tub drain then there is a clog in the main sewer line beyond the toilet but not far beyond.  Also, if a clog cannot be cleared with a plunger then there is usually more of a problem than simply too much paper.

You need to find a plumber who will take an interest in solving the problem rather than the temporary solutions that they have been charging her for.

QUESTION: Would she have to call the city to check or is it her own sewer line? And the front lawn has leakage also. Thank you and please let me know asap as she is still having the problem and will until she calls a plumber and fixes it again- temporarily.

Answer
Dear Esther,

If there is seepage appearing in the front yard, then she has a serious problem indeed.  It is possible that there could be a problem in a section of the line which is the responsibility of here municipality, but more likely it is a problem which the homeowner would be responsible for... or depending on her lease agreement, the renter.

The clog, and the leakage in the yard very likely are related to the same problem, and will need to be dug up in order to repair.

I'm sorry, this is very bad news.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler