You are here:

Plumbing in the Home/Fireplace shut off valve - which face should be on the wall


QUESTION: I was getting some cleaning and building done in my shed which shares wall with the fireplace gas line. The person who was doing it told me the fireplace shut off valve was placed wrong, that it was inside out and he's changed it to make the shed wall looking more flat. This is not a plumber nor a contractor. Now I am not sure if what he did was correct and if I should be concerned about any gas leakage etc. Before, what we had on the face of the wall was looking better (esthetically). The face we have now is more protruding. Also has letters on it P-P (on top) and L-L on bottom. What do these letters mean?

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Deniz,
I can't picture what your handyman was trying to describe. Can you provide an actual picture of the gas valve as it's mounted on the shed wall? Please get close enough that I can see a bit of detail. Never heard of a gas valve being installed "inside out"!

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Gas valve cover
Gas valve cover  
QUESTION: Here is the picture. I am not sure if he meant the cover only. I was not there when he was doing it. I've had it the way it was for 5 years (and I don't know how long before me) and did not have a problem, except for some cold air blowing in winter time. He told me if it stayed other way around I would have gas in the wall. Maybe I should bring an expert to look at it? I don't want to take chances with gas.

This looks correct.  Normally, the valve body sticks through the hole in the wall with the end of the body flush or a little below the wall surface. The flange screws on to the valve body and covers the hole. (if the hole is not too big, lol)  Still do not know what they meant by saying it's "inside out". Unless there is an open outlet from the valve inside the wall, no gas could "get inside the wall" or the valve is malfunctioning.  This is an "in-line" type valve (as opposed to a terminal end type valve) that controls the gas flow to a gas log set normally. The outlet side of the valve has a pipe that extends through the sidewall of the firebox to the inside of the fireplace.

Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dana Bostick


Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.


Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Awards and Honors
Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Past/Present Clients
Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal

©2017 All rights reserved.