Plumbing in the Home/Kitchen Faucet

Within the last 6 weeks after turning off either hot or cold water, the water continues to run for 3-5 seconds.  What can I do to make it shut off instantly again?  Not sure if it is a coincidence but I believe the Township did a pressure test on Sewer lines 6 weeks ago.

Thank you.

Hi Gary,
If there is some connection between a city sewer line test and a problem with your faucet on the potable water system, you have more problems than a leaky faucet! Various, very strenuous and code related measures are in place to prevent these two systems from EVER being connected.

The most likely cause is that the faucet needs to be rebuilt/repaired. It either needs new cartridges if it is a washerless style or the washers (and possibly the seats) need to be replaced if it is a compression style faucet. This is not too difficult of a job and places like YouTube have a lot of instructional videos that show you how to do it.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal