Plumbing in the Home/Low Flush toilet fix

Tom, I have an older low flush toilet that operates on the dual flush principle. [hold the handle longer and it allows a higher flow water flush]. As I am sure you are aware these early models often don't flush completely using the #1 flush because there is not enough water to allow the bowl to flush completely. Simply holding the lever longer resolves the problem but it is a pain and guests don't do it. Is there a way to get the flapper to stay open longer when pressing the lever once or could I replace the flapper with another so every flush basically becomes a #2 flush using more water? Thanks, Jack

Dear Jack,

I don't know if changing the flapper would help... it depends on what the method is that makes the flapper close early.  Some flappers are designed to close after letting just a small amount of water through and others have a device on them to make them stay open longer.  You can certainly try it, it would be a low cost experiment considering that the alternative would be replacing the toilet.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.