Plumbing in the Home/New kitchen sink: now no hot water!

Question
My wife wanted a new high arch pull down kitchen faucet.  I installed a new Brooksville single handle high arc pull-down kitchen faucet model number:  6736040.  Should have been pretty straight forward. Finished the project by attaching the supply hoses to the hot and cold water shut-offs. Cold water works fine but now we have no hot water.  I have no idea what could be the cause since the old sink worked fine.  There are no kinks in the supply lines and I was careful not to twist the copper tube on the faucet when I attached the supply lines to the faucet.  Any troubleshooting advice regarding next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Tom,
There are a number of possibilities. The first step in troubleshooting this is to disconnect the flex from the bottom of the faucet and pointed into a container and turned the water on. Is water coming out of the flex? If so the problem is likely with the faucet itself. If not, the problem is in the supply system. Now you know where to look.

It is not uncommon to have small bits of debris break loose from the water system during a maintenance procedure and travel up the line, thereby restricting or plugging up the small orifices in the valve body of the faucet.

If the water supply is fine, turn off the water and disassemble the faucet and remove the cartridge. Put a rag or towel over the opening where the cartridges was and crack open the hot water supply momentarily and see if you get water flow. This might flush out any debris caught in the line. If not, something is plugged up in the faucet body or supply tubes. It is not impossible that the actual faucet itself is defective. If you get no water flow, I would reassemble the faucet, remove it, and return it for a new one.

Always be sure to flush the flex lines out before connecting to a new faucet.

Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick