Plumbing in the Home/Plumbing drain/vent problem

Question
QUESTION: Have a double sink set up in the bath vanity with pop up drains.  The sinks do not have an overflow.  The sinks drain each loop after the trap around the back of the vanity to the base of the vent stack.  They both come into a  "T" and then downward to the sewer line and the vent line is right above the T and heads up to the roof..  I have snaked the drain lines and the vent stack and all is clear.  Problem is the sinks especially when filled together back up and do not let the waste water empty.  There seems to be a "vapor Lock" type situation.  I do not have enough room under the vanity to install an air vent but I could install it about 6" before the waste lines enter the sewer drain and the original vent stack.  Your thoughts

ANSWER: Dear Gene, you could certainly try to add a mechanical vent beneath the sinks... from your description though I am not sure that would solve the problem though.  Perhaps the waste pipe is under sized for the double sink setup?

QUESTION: from the tail the waste travels through a 1 1/2 PVC around through the back wall and
T's into the waste and vent which are 2" PVC.  Further description-  each sink travels it's own route to the waste and vent pipe they do not marry under the vanity and then as one waste run into the 2" main drain.  As a thought since they come together into the T would a soft curve rather than a T conection possibly help this "water lock" problem?  If you run one sink at a low water inlet flow it runs fine with no apparent backup.  I am really puzzeled.

Gene

Answer
That is a bit puzzling Gene, Some type of offset would probably help the two sinks drain better.... perhaps a "Double Wye" fitting or two "Wye" fittings one above the other.... Another possible concern would be the pitch of the drain pipes.  I had been assuming that they would be vertical in the wall.... what about after though... could there be a back-pitch in the line somewhere?

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler