Plumbing in the Home/reduction in water pressure

Hi Thomas

The water pressure in my duplex has been reduced to half of the pressure could you please tell me how this is possible?

My home is about 20 years old.

Thank you very much,

Dear Peter,

I would need some more information to troubleshoot the problem for you, but unless your municipality reduced the pressure being supplied to your home, then there are really just two possibilities:

One would see reduced pressure if there were a fairly substantial leak in the system somewhere, but that would probably be evident.  The other possibility would be a restriction in the pipe which would cause less water to flow through the pipes and thus reduce the available pressure.

Going back to the idea of the leak, the same result would occur if your water source were being shared with the other half of your duplex and if they were running a lot of water at the same time as you.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.