Plumbing in the Home/Bathtub slow drain

Question
Bathtub overnight started to drain extremely slowly
Drano doesn't work
Sink is unaffected, but gurgling can be heard in tub when releasing water in sink
Once, dirty water (not from sink) came up from tub drain when water was released from sink bowl
Snake too large to go thru tub drain hole w/o dislodging drain hole strainer (but will pry it out if necessary)
Please help - thanks

Answer
Dear Ronn,

When snaking a tub drain I always remove the trip-lever or overflow cover plate and snake down the drain from that point.  This serves two puroposes...it allows the snake to follow the most direct path through the trap and down the drain pipe, and it also allows you to run water during the snaking process.  (Be sure to use cold water).  The water will flush out the debris that the snake is loosening up and also clean off the snake for when you remove it from the pipe.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler