Plumbing in the Home/Constant Leak After Draining Water Heater

Question
I drained my electric water heater today, but have now discovered that the heater's drain valve, located by other water valves, at the front of my house, is constantly dripping a considerable amount of hot water. Prior to draining, this wasn't happening, so now I'm concerned that I may have done something wrong.

Prior to draining I shut off the electricity to the heater via the breaker box, shut off the cold water leading to the heater, opened the release valve on top, ran hot water through my kitchen sink so as not to have air in the system, attached a garden hose to the heater's lower spigot/valve, opened the valve and then drained the water.

Afterwards, I closed the bottom valve, disconnected the hose, turned off the running water to the kitchen sink, then turned on the cold water leading to the heater. Once filled (I wasn't sure when it was full, so I checked the drain/drip valve in the front of my house. When I saw that water was pouring out of it, I figured the heater was satisfactorily full) I closed the top valve of the heater and proceeded to turn the electricity back on. Everything seemed okay until I checked the front of the house and saw hot water steadily dripping. I know this shouldn't be happening, but I'm just not sure what went wrong. Any thoughts on what to do--other than call a pro?

Thanks,

Rob

Answer
I'm not a plumber, but I'm confused on a couple of things.  The water coming out of the kitchen sinks faucet when you have already opened the drain valve and the T/P valve at the top of the tank.

Second; what is this drain/drip valve at the front of the house that hot water comes out of?

Getting air out of the system is simple.  Open a faucet and the air will move along with the water until it's all gone.

If you have a dripping valve (I think you meant it was the drain valve at the bottom of the tank), you can either change it or cap it.  They have hose caps at all the big box stores.  They have a standard hose gasket (the round one with the hole in the middle) and they screw onto the hose threads.  Hand tight should stop the drip.

Plumbing in the Home

Bob Tabor