Plumbing in the Home/Kitchen Sink Issue

I am having a plumbing issue I am hoping you can diagnose and provide a fix for. When we turn the water on from the faucet in our kitchen sink, the water pulsates as though it is pushing air out every few seconds. I have checked all of our other sinks in the house, and only the kitchen sink is doing this, so I believe it to be a localized issue. When the water from the kitchen faucet is pulsating, I can hear the water lines beneath the sink making a sort of “kinking” sound.

Any idea on what is causing this and how I can fix it? I appreciate your time and help on this. Thank-you.

Dear Mike,

I appologize for the delay in responding... I have been busy and simply lost track of your question.

The pulsating water is usually a valve issue... probably due to a washer or seat in the valve housing or cartridge of the faucet.  If it is a single handle faucet there will probably be a cartridge inside and you can simply replace the cartridge.  Others have rubber seats with springs which can be easily replaced as well.  This should solve the problem.

Youtube has many videos describing the process if you want to try the repair yourself.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.