Plumbing in the Home/Very loud noise coming from water hose after flushing

Question
Hello,
After flushing the toilet the water starts to replenish the tank. That is when it gets extremely loud. It sounds like something's about to break. Touching the water hose, one can sense a lot of pressure. Turning the water off would of course stop the noise, but that would set the toilet off limits. 2 toilets have this issue.
Would changing the hoses fix the problem?
Thank you.

Answer
Hello Lou,
The hose has nothing to do with the problem, it's just where you can see the symptoms.
there are two possible problems:
1. For some reason, the water pressure is too high. It should not be over 80 psi inside the house.
2. The toilet fill valves, the one on the left inside the toilet tank, are worn and need to be replaced.

The most likely problem is the fill valves.  They have worn to the point that they can no longer function as intended and the water passing through them is causing them to make noise. This can also be caused by mineral buildup or debris inside the valve.

Water is an excellent conductor of sound energy and a noise problem in one valve can be transmitted throughout the whole system. Sometimes this makes it difficult to pin down the problem.

The easiest solution is to replace the fill valves.  A new replacement costs about $20.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick