Plumbing in the Home/New bathroom sink stinks/tub drain issue

Question
Jay,

I installed a new sink (like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_139.444EC.020_4294857218__?productId=3702840&Ns=p_produc) on our bathroom 6 to 8 months ago.  When removing the old one, the trap metal and horizontal drain leading to the wall connection crumbled so I replaced it with PVC.  Due to the location of the trap and the way the drain comes out of the wall I had to use a flexible trap (like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_260K_4294822043__?productId=1076241&Ns=p_product_avg_rat).

About 2 months ago we noticed a smell coming from the sink, most notably the overflow holes so I had a plumber replace the drain and trap thinking the smell was caused by the baffles in the trap holding water.

That doesn't appear to be the case.  The smell is back.  It smells musty, almost like mold but I can be sure.  The drain empties quickly and seems to hold water in the trap.  It's not a smell like there's no water in the trap, it's just musty.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

I also have an issue with my tub.  House built 1950.  Original tub and drain.  I'm told the drain is brass.  Every once in a while the drain is very slow.  A plumber told me to use a plunger on it and that only works some times.  I've snaked it but the last time I couldn't get the snake to go toward the trap, it kept coming out of the overflow.

We've been using a drain cleaner and that seems to fix the issue and the problem stays away much longer than plunging or snaking.  I've attempted to replace the pipes but they are all behind finished ceiling and walls.

What else can I do to fix this issue besides replacing the pipes?  We use a hair trap in the tub to prevent most of the hair from draining.

Thanks.

Answer
James , I'm unable to open links. A quick fix might be to squirt chlorine bleach down the overflow holes. could be there is soap scum and crud building up inside. also,if water doesn't drain through the overflow the PO  assembly  is probably plugged with putty or silicone. Remove the drain  and pop up and reassemble if this is the case.  

The tub. You probably have a drum trap. They drain slow on purpose. Most house of that era have them. You could remove it and replace with a "P" trap and  it would flow much better. It is a cumbersome job even for pros. chemicals and plungers will  help but snaking it will do the best job. try going in through the overflow after removing the trip lever. Be careful you could cause a leak and  a costly repair.  

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas