Plumbing in the Home/Sink pipes

I would have asked this sooner, but I had some additional problems to deal with. You mentioned the pipes I had were not up to code, and I was wondering if you were talking about the trap or something else. I think you also mentioned something about extending the pipes down to reach the wall drain better, but I think the trap would be in the way.

Here is the pipe I need to somehow replicate, and what it looks like under the sink:

I was thinking there should be a slip joint in there somewhere, but I do have a rubber coupling that can attach the drain pipe with the wall pipe.

Hi KC,
From what I see in your pictures, the plumbing, at least in that area is a mess. I see 3/8 soft copper water feeds ducking behind the back wall of the cabinet and no shut off visible.  The waste pipe coming out of the wall is way too low.  Basically, you are trying to fix one jury rigged setup with an additional one. Whoever plumbed it that way didn't have a clue.

At this point you can either continue to jury rig it and get something to sort of work or fix it properly. The first step would be to raise the waste pipe from the wall up to the proper height, at least 16 to 18 inches off finished floor. From that point on, everything will be standard and you can use off-the-shelf parts in the normal fashion. I've sent along a picture of a typical sink trap set up previously.

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal