Plumbing in the Home/water pressure

Question
I tested my water pressure and found that while it was 71 psi which the water company told me was normal for my location it spiked up to 120 psi. I believe it occurred at night. My gauge shows the highest pressure that was reached as well as the live pressure. The guy at the water co. told me it would unlikely fluctuate that much maybe 10psi. What is your opinion on this.

Answer
Hi Brad,
By code a regulator is required if the pressure is "ever" 80psi or of course higher...There are several factors that affect the pressure at any given time the main factor is combined usage on the system or more simply stated "if a lot of people are using water at the same time it will cause the pressure to drop.
Having said that, the water company should know what the maximum pressure is and obviously if it is 71 during usage hours it is going to go over 80 in the low usage periods and easily can fluctuate more than 10psi; this leads me to believe you talked to someone that had little knowledge of the system....
Bottom line is you should have a regulator installed and I prefer to see the maximum held at 65psi or a little less. BUT you have to bear in mind that a regulator is a mechanical appliance and as such will not last forever and does require maintenance on a regular basis; I recommend checking the pressure ever 3-6 months and service the regulator yearly. Fact is that most regulators will fail within two years and often more frequently.
I could continue on this topic indefinitely but it would all be speculative as I do not know where you are, how big your water system (company)is or many other things that would help understand the problem.
Some Cities will provide a free water regulator (usually just one-time) but unfortunately this practice is not very wide spread...doesn't hurt to ask but regardless I would strongly suggest that you have a regulator installed soon.
Good Luck
cort

Plumbing in the Home

Cortez (cort) Cate