Plumbing in the Home/Ghost shower

Hi Dana, I have a customer with a 2 handle shower only( brand is central) that magically comes on periodically with no one having turned it on. He says to turn it back off he usually has to open the handle all the way and turn it back to off and its fine. When he first hears it running the handle is still in the off position. Would I need to change more than seat washer and possibly the stems? Thanks for your time.

Hi Mike,
Very strange. Maybe you need to call one of those ghost busters from the TV shows that are so popular these days! LOL

I've never experienced this issue myself. I suppose the firs step would be to change the stems, washers and seats.  You might be able to get by with just tightening the bonnet nuts a bit to make the handles a bit harder to turn.  Other than that, I'm not sure what else would cause this.

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal