Plumbing in the Home/Plumbing

Question
Hi Dana. I have a 10 yr old house with the plumbing roughed in the unfinished basement for a bathroom. I dont need another bathroom and want to remove this and carpet over it. Looks like a pipe in the floor for the toilet(cut flush with floor and put in a reverse cap?) Other pipe comes out of the floor into the basement ceiling. Would it be as simple as cutting the other pipe coming from floor and reverse cap as with the toilet pipe, also capping the pipe in the ceiling? This is a vent pipe I think.

Thank you for any help.

Dominic

Answer
Hello Dominic,
It would probably be fine to seal off these pipes if they are no longer needed or wanted. The proper way to seal the larger toilet pipe is to plug it with wadded up newspaper shoved down into the pipe and then pour a layer of plaster of Paris or something like in it to seal the pipe a little bit more permanently. You would want to perform the same procedure on the toilet vent line at the floor level as well.

For the vent line at the ceiling, plugging the bottom at ceiling level could be a problem since it may be connected to the rest of the plumbing system above and if there is ever a backup in that system that reaches the venting, it could dump into the vent line and possibly leak above your ceiling. It will also tend to become a reservoir for condensation in the system and fill with water that way.

It's hard to know how the system is plumbed. That vent pipe more than likely ties into the rest of the system and is unlikely to go all away through the roof by itself. If it did, I would just cap that vent off above the roof line as well as on the bottom.  
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick