Plumbing in the Home/Running waterline from main to house

Question
I will be running a waterline from the city main to the house, tired of paying high electricity for the well.
The line will be approx 1100 feet with a raise in altitude of close to 57-60 feet. My father once told me that it would be best to run a 2" line, is this right? or would a 3/4 sch40 be fine with that incline. Have not  known anyone to complain about pressure in the city water so I assume it is ok.
Also what is the recommended depth for cold country?
Thank you for your time and advice

Answer
Hello Mike,
This is far from being a simple project, a lot of research and calculation needs to go into it.
There are number of factors that bear on the size of pipe you will need to deliver functional flow at the demand end.

1. What is the total demand at the consumption end? In other words how many and what kind of fixtures are you serving including anything external to the house such as livestock, irrigation etc. This is the starting point to determine pipe sizing.

2. The "developed length" of the actual supply piping. Developed length is the physical distance plus friction loss for elbows, valves or anything else that the water will flow through.

3. Developed rise, in feet, above the point of supply.

4. The actual pressure at the source that the city will consistently be able to supply. You need to design for worst-case scenario. Municipal water supply systems are seldom consistent. The available pressure varies throughout the day depending on system wide demand.

All of these factors contribute to the ultimate calculation of the actual pipe size needed to deliver functional flow.  Your water company may be of some help here and give you guidelines on how to size the system.
You'll need access to the actual plumbing codes that are enforced in your area. These codes will provide pipe sizing diagrams, friction loss information etc.
At 1100 feet and a 60 foot rise above source, even a 2 inch line may not be enough. I suspect a three-quarter inch line would deliver zero pressure and zero flow at the business end under those conditions. With that link the run and that much rise you may actually need to install a booster pump system at the residence end to get a usable pressure.

Ultimately, your question is too difficult and complex with too many variables to be able to get it resolved here. Get as much information as you can from the local water supplier as well is a professional plumbing contractor that is familiar with this type of work.

As for how deep, that will be addressed in the design process. Typically it must be buried below the local frost line. That can be 18 inches in some areas and 4 feet or more and others. That information would be available from the local building department.

This will not be an inexpensive project. Materials cost will likely run several thousand dollars, not to mention engineering and excavation costs. You really need to cost out this project and decide if the ROI is there to actually do it. Reality check time! LOL

Good Luck
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick