Plumbing in the Home/How to replace single handle shower cartridge

handle Top
handle Top  
I have a Moen Single shower handle in my bathroom. The shower head recently started to leak. I could not locate the model number so I contacted Moen and gave them the number printed inside the handle. The rep said that was a trim number and was able to match it up to a model. They sent me a 1222B replacement cartridge. The instructions on how to replace the handle along with videos posted up on youtube do not match the actual internal components of the handle. I am not sure how I remove the old cartridge. I have attached pictures of the handle. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Shawn,
This is something I don't recognize.  Moen may have changed their design from the one I've seen for years. They used to use a horse shoe shaped clip to hold the cartridge in.  I don't see that here.  
Based on the model number you provided, I found this pdf;

The only one that does not seem to have a retaining clip is the temperature balancing unit. It does look like it requires a special tool to dissassemble though.??
Back to Moen again?
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal