Plumbing in the Home/Shower/Bath Leaks - Symmons Temptrol II

Question
I have this issue in both my bathrooms. We have the Temptrol II for the shower and bath but water pours from the shower when the water is filling up the bath. In one you could take a shower without pulling up the diverter. Please tell me how to fix this. I have changed the seals on both.

Sandy

Answer
Hi Sandy,
Water flow always takes the path of least resistance. The diverter of the spout blocks the water flow there so it goes up to the shower head instead.

These valves do not have an internal diverter so the problem probably lies with the diverter on the spout.  I would test this by removing (unscrewing) the diverter and replacing it with a 6" pipe nipple (if the nipple comes out with the spout). If the nipple stays connected to the piping, just proceed.  

Turn on the water and see if the problem still exists with only the nipple and no spout.  If not, block the end of the nipple with your finger and see if the shower works properly.  This test should point you at the problem area.  

If the shower still runs with only an open 1/2" nipple, the problem might be with a restricted or kinked supply pipe inside the wall that is feeding the spout.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick