Plumbing in the Home/can't adjust h/cold water in shower

A shower pipe leake was fixed, now we can't adjust hot & cold water coming out. We have to use a screw driver to adjust the cold, & use the handle in the back of the wall for the hot which means we only use one temp to shower, because it's a hassle to deal with. We don't know what the make of the shower is, because people told us to just get a whole new shower mount installed. Is that the only way to get the cartridge to work again? Thanks for any info you can offer--Maria

Hello Maria,
Something sounds very odd about this.  If I read this correctly you have had the shower valve replaced and now it does not work correctly?  That's not right. Needing to use a screw driver or any other method other than the regular handles to adjust the water is not the way it should work.  

Who did this work?  Was it a professional plumber or just a handyman?  Not that a handyman could not do this, there are some very skilled handymen out there. Many handymen I've met are not much more more than slightly talented amateurs trying to make a few extra dollars.

Without actually being able to see the problem and how this installation was done, it's difficult to diagnose and provide a solution.

I would suggest that you need to have a professional take a look at this situation.  If the installer was a "professional" I might suggest using a different one.

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal