Plumbing in the Home/tankless h2o

Question
I have a gas water heater (92) that needs to be replaced soon.
I am new home owner and I don't like gas so I like to convert to propane. 1st I like to try a propane tankless water. Is this an easy project to complete, What size is needed and how much propane do I need. and any restiction.
I am in Missouri city, tx, no HOA.
the home is 1964, 2 bath, kitchen.
My goal is to go solar power, Rain Water and all propane.
So the question about the tankles is just the start to my project to go off grid _ is there other help I can use to get me on my way to full fill my goals?

Thank you for any help you can give, Carl

Answer
Carl,
The answers you require are rather complex in that there are many variables to consider. Lets start with the basics of tankless heaters. These heaters have very large burners in them to enable the water to be heated very fast and of sufficient quantity. They require a larger chimney(vent pipe) in order to work properly. You will probably need a 500 gallon or larger tank on site to feed this heater so as to not have the propane supplier over you house every month. Also, the incoming water temperature is a critical factor in how many gallons per minute the heater can deliver. The colder the water the less hot can be produced. You could, however, use a solar heater to preheat the water before going through the tankless. This would save a lot of money in the long run. The size of the heater is determined by the number of people in the household and number of fixtures in the house. If you have a large soaking tub or whirlpool you will need a bigger heater to produce more gallons per minute.
Lastly, if you have the skill to install it , it's not that big of a deal but I don't know the regulations in the area you live. Most places require a lic. plumber, a permit to install and a final inspection by the plumbing/building inspector in your town.
J

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas