Plumbing in the Home/adding gas line to existing

Question
TIE IN
TIE IN  
JAY

CAN I TAP INTO/EXTEND PIPE FROM AN EXISTING DOWNTURN "DRIP" LEG FROM MY FURNANCE. I AM CHANGING FROM ELECRIC COOKTOP TO GAS.
ABOUT A 15' RUN.

Answer
Jeff, Its not a good idea. The gas line to the furnace is sized properly for the furnace and pulling more gas from it may and probably will starve the furnace. Also, that drip leg is for moisture and and crud that may be in the gas line and is necessary to protect the furnace gas valve. Keep in mind, the gas piping in you home deteriorates ever-so slightly over time an any scale or rust particles. I would trace the line back to where the pipe is a larger diameter and cut a tee into then run a new line to your stove.

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas