Plumbing in the Home/leak from tub to ceiling

Louis Puglisi wrote at 2014-01-04 14:08:01
The VAST majority of tub leaks on a second story are NON plumbing related.  They are caulking, grouting, sealing, water splashing out of the tub onto the floor, etc., etc.  If it ONLY leaks when taking a tub bath....then you know the drain is NOT the issue, as if it's drain related, then it will leak with both shower AND tub..

Just because he sealed the overflow does NOT mean the problem was cured!!!  Sealing it from the outside does no good, no good at all. There is a washer that stops it from leaking on the INSIDE of the wall where you cannot see.  The diverter can cause a leak...but again, the diverter is OFF when taking a tub bath and only used when showering, so the divereter is NOT the problem.

As far as the water not being high enough when fulling the tub....there is no way a body can take a tub bath and not push water up to overflow out of it.  If it is plumbing related at all, then my guess is the overflow needs to be looked at.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal