Plumbing in the Home/Kohler Rialto Toilet K-3386 problem

The problem started with the flush handle. I ordered the proper replacement (#85114)and installed it and it worked perfectly, except off and on it would get hung up underneath the top of the big long screw that is used the adjust the water level in the tank (don't know what it's called). When it got hung up, it would just run forever as the handle wouldn't drop back down as it should.
So I got the bright idea that if I could swivel the fill valve assembly toward the back of the tank, the screw wouldn't be reached by the arm of the handle assembly so wouldn't get hung up. That part worked but now it's leaking where the fill valve assembly goes through the bottom of the tank. The toilet was installed in 2006. It's in a room that's a little less than 3 feet wide, so it's a bear to get to anything underneath the toilet. I know that I shouldn't overtighten plumbing parts, but with my arthritic 73 year old hands and the awkwardness of it all, I did use pliers to tighten the plastic nut that holds it tight (I had to use pliers to get it loose). I made a point of trying not to overtighten it. I surmised that maybe the washer should be replaced since the unit is that old, but I can't tell from any drawing I can find what I would need in terms of a washer. I do have a new Kohler 1068030 fill valve that I bought to use on another toilet, but could just replace the whole thing if that's advisable. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Hi Rubye,

At this point, replacing the fill valve would probably be the easiest route since finding a replacement washer and changing it only to have it leak again would be most annoying. Just go straight for the new fill valve. The old fill valve itself may be faulty and only replacing the washer won't solve the problem.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal