Plumbing in the Home/Moen Cartridge wont come up

Question
Moen
Moen  
Moen
Moen  
QUESTION: Hi, I have a moen faucet that is probably made in the late 80s. I've found the cartridge I need (1224b) but I could not get the old one out. I've tried 3 days, using needle nose plier and long screw. The darn thing just wont come out. Please see the picture attached. Please help.

ANSWER: Will, it's been a while since I worked on the model faucet you have. If remember right, there is a cartridge retainer nut in side the valve body that has to be removed. I believe you have to remove the trim ring on your faucet, that would be the white ring on the sink deck in the second picture. That ring will unscrew, try doing it by hand to avoid marring the finish. Some of these faucets have an elongated retainer nut and others use a flat brass nut. Once removed the cartridge should lift out. Sometimes the o-rings on the old cartridge swell and a Moen stuck cartridge pulling tool is required to remove it. You can get one at any Moen  retailer like Home depot or a plumbing supply house. Lastly, you can go to the Moen website and get an exploded diagram of your faucet. It will just take a bit of searching to find your model. If all else fails, Moen has a great customer help line at 1-800 Buymoen.

J

moen
moen  
Moen
Moen  
QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. I tried to remove the white-ring trim but it is also stuck. I tried turning with hand, with pliers but unsuccessful. I am attaching two other image. It seems like there are no retainer nut holding the cartridge?

https://www.google.com/search?q=moen+1224b&client=firefox-a&hs=mep&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=y2m4UrGnEor4oASdvYHoDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=990

Another question is, yesterday I shut off the cold and hot valve below the sink. But the weird thing is, the faucet is still dripping today. I already filled up a coffee mug. What gives?

Thank you,

Will

ANSWER: Can you send me  pictures of the parts you have removed? It might give me a better perspective.Also, the faucet is dripping because the shut off valves are not holding. Very common in these types of valves because the are so seldom used.

Moen
Moen  

Moen
Moen  
QUESTION: Please see attached images.

Answer
OK Will, based on what I see, the white trim ring will have to be removed to get the cartridge out. Get some good penetrating  spray like "liquid wrench"  or "break-free" and spray the valve and trim ring. Give it time to work and then attempt to remove it. Be very gentle since the parts are somewhat fragile.  Once you have it off there should be a brass retainer nut that is holding the cartridge in. I would also do the other side as well since both cartridges are probably the same age. In fact, try the other side first and see if the cartridge come out with out removing the trim ring.
When you finally get this  apart and the parts replaced, It would be a good idea to coat all the threaded pieces with a anti-seize compound to make the next repair easier. Good luck

J

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas