Plumbing in the Home/Toilet repair - Mansfield toilet

Question
Good Day!

I live in an older condominium complex, and my unit came with an old Mansfield style toilet.  Well, the other day the handle broke, as well as the top of the flush valve.  I was thinking to replace all of the "inner parts" of the toilet (full mechanism), but when I went to the store, all I could find were universal toilet replacement parts.  Will these also fit a Mansfield toilet, since the flush valves are so different?

Thanks!!!
-Shane

Answer
Hello Shane,
The internal working parts inside the tank of almost any toilet can be replaced fairly easily. There are actually two working parts plus the handle.

Typically, on the left-hand side is the "fill valve" and the center portion is actually called the "Flush valve". Both can be replaced with fairly standard parts. One of the most common brands of "Universal fit" parts is called Fluidmaster.

To change the fill valve only requires emptying the water out of the tank and unscrewing the nut on the bottom of the tank that holds the fill valve in place. In order to replace the center flush valve, the tank needs to be separated from the bowl so this is a little bit more work but not that hard. In no case do you need to actually remove the toilet. All of the Fluidmaster parts come with directions so have at it.

One other thing, the nut that holds the handle into the tank is reversed threads so make sure you turn at the correct direction to remove and replace it.

Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick