Plumbing in the Home/Toilet repair - Mansfield toilet

Good Day!

I live in an older condominium complex, and my unit came with an old Mansfield style toilet.  Well, the other day the handle broke, as well as the top of the flush valve.  I was thinking to replace all of the "inner parts" of the toilet (full mechanism), but when I went to the store, all I could find were universal toilet replacement parts.  Will these also fit a Mansfield toilet, since the flush valves are so different?

Hello Shane,
The internal working parts inside the tank of almost any toilet can be replaced fairly easily. There are actually two working parts plus the handle.

Typically, on the left-hand side is the "fill valve" and the center portion is actually called the "Flush valve". Both can be replaced with fairly standard parts. One of the most common brands of "Universal fit" parts is called Fluidmaster.

To change the fill valve only requires emptying the water out of the tank and unscrewing the nut on the bottom of the tank that holds the fill valve in place. In order to replace the center flush valve, the tank needs to be separated from the bowl so this is a little bit more work but not that hard. In no case do you need to actually remove the toilet. All of the Fluidmaster parts come with directions so have at it.

One other thing, the nut that holds the handle into the tank is reversed threads so make sure you turn at the correct direction to remove and replace it.

Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal