Plumbing in the Home/water leaks onto top of cover plate of faucet

Question
Why does water sometimes ooze out between the spout and the cover plate on my kitchen single handle faucet?  No water ever leaks under the sink.  The faucet doesn't drip.  But sometimes water oozes out around the faucet spout and pools on top of the cover plate where the spout enters the hole in the cover plate.  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Lana, the leak is caused by a worn O-ring. An 0-ring is a type of gasket that seals the spout but allows it to swivel left and right. It is a very easy fix and can be done most times, without turning off the water to the sink. On single handle faucets you have to remove the handle and, depending on the brand, the spout just lifts off. If you have a Moen or Delta faucet, call 1-800-buy-Moen  or Delta customer service and they will send the parts to you free of charge. If you are going to attempt the repair yourself, I would recommend you turn off the water just as a precautionary measure as I don't know what brand faucet you have and I wouldn't want to have you cause a bigger problem than you have!

J

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas