Plumbing in the Home/Leak in the Saniplus pipe

bathroom floor
bathroom floor  

Hello Dana, I have a question about a wet/damp carpet area that is just outside the bathroom in our basement. We had a drain cleaner pro come yesterday and he mentioned that one of the possible causes is a leak in the pipe between the shower stall and the saniplus ( that might be seeping into the tile and below the ground and surfacing as the wetness that is just outside the bathroom. I have asked our warranty company to send someone to look at the leak, but am just wondering if using a sealant might fix this. The pipe leading from the shower stall to the saniplus looks like it has an angle to it and might need a pro. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Michelle,
Difficult to tell from the picture but there does seem to be some slope in the shower drain in the wrong direction.

If it is leaking somewhere under the shower pan area that is not visible it will be difficult to diagnose as well.

In my opinion, I would not put a lot of hope on the warranty company.  They're in business to make money, not pay it out and will often find some way to avoid paying for needed repairs by claiming "prior condition" or "not properly installed" etc. They will then try to charge you for the needed repairs.  Get a second opinion if this happens.

In any case, this will take a professional on site to track this down. Without being there to investigate, I would only be guessing.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal