Plumbing in the Home/Main Water Supply Valve Stuck

We are doing some plumbing work on our home and need to shut off the main water supply. We can't do it at the angle stops as they are in need of replacing thus we want to shut off the main water supply. We found the valve and my husband has the tool to go down and turn the valve but between him, and 3 other guys that tried no one can get it to budge. Have you experienced this issue? Is there any way to get this old thing moving again?

Thank you for your help.

Dear Alicia,

I am sorry you've got such a "Sticky" situation...  corroded valves are a bane of the plumbing world.  Extreme care must be taken so that too much force in trying to turn the valve does not break off the fittings.

You may need to get the water company in your area to turn off the main valve outside so that you can safely remove the main valve inside and either free it for reuse or replace it with a new one.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.