Plumbing in the Home/noisy heating system

Question
Hi there,

I'll preface this by saying I am not knowledgeable about home heating at all and apologize if I don't provide enough information during this first request for help but perhaps you can ask me some questions and we'll be able to get to the bottom of our noisy house problems.

Our house is heated by baseboard convectors (gas/water) and is extremely noisy - a loud banging noise (single bang) at irregular intervals. Happens throughout the house.

Answer
Dear Emily,

Hot water baseboard is a heating system that is very popular.  It is notorious though for being a noisy system.  Steam systems are noisier, but the sound is very similar.  The problem in baseboard systems is usually caused by air pockets in the system plumbing.  The radiators are fitted with bleed valves so that the air can be removed but this can be time consuming and should be done by someone with experience.  Once someone has been shown how this is done, it can usually be done again by the homeowner whenever necessary.

One other possible cause of noise in a hot water heating system is expansion.  There is a possibility that the heating of the pipes is causing them to expand making loud popping sounds or causing the pipes to bang into one another or into the structure of the house making a banging noise.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler