Plumbing in the Home/running toilet

Question
i hear the toilet add just a little water when i turn off the kitchen faucet and sometimes when turning off other faucets. The expert at the hardware store suggested my water pressure may be too high. I checked it at 80psi and tried to adjust the regulator but 4 turns of the adj screw in both directions didn't change the pressure. Is 80psi too high? Do you think I need a new regulator?

Answer
Hi Mike,
80 psi is right on the edge of the maximum design pressure.  If it's 80 psi now, it will go higher during the night when demand on the city system is lowest. When adjusting the regulator, you need to run some water to bleed off the static pressure load and then test. Usually, backing out the screw lowers the pressure.  Back it out a turn or two, bleed off some water and then test again.  If it's not changing then the reg may be faulty.
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick