Plumbing in the Home/running toilet

i hear the toilet add just a little water when i turn off the kitchen faucet and sometimes when turning off other faucets. The expert at the hardware store suggested my water pressure may be too high. I checked it at 80psi and tried to adjust the regulator but 4 turns of the adj screw in both directions didn't change the pressure. Is 80psi too high? Do you think I need a new regulator?

Hi Mike,
80 psi is right on the edge of the maximum design pressure.  If it's 80 psi now, it will go higher during the night when demand on the city system is lowest. When adjusting the regulator, you need to run some water to bleed off the static pressure load and then test. Usually, backing out the screw lowers the pressure.  Back it out a turn or two, bleed off some water and then test again.  If it's not changing then the reg may be faulty.

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal