Plumbing in the Home/vinegary smell

Question
We have a vinegary smell coming form one of our heating vents in the family room.  It is only in that room that we smell it.  Sometimes stronger then other times.  I had the vents cleaned but it still stinks.  It comes and goes.  Our furnace is in the garage and the family room is a ways away from the garage. Help please.

Answer
Deanna, The only thing I can think of that would give off a vinegary smell that is used in the plumbing/heating field is silicone caulking products and some types of insulation  or insulated duct board.  Some people have said that insulated flex-duct sometimes smells vinegary due to the fiberglass insulation.I would have the duct cleaner run a camera down the line and inspect the runs from end to end. I suppose something could have gotten in from the garage but it seems unlikely.  

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas