Plumbing in the Home/Laundry tub faucet

Question
I am replacing laundry tub with wall mount plastic.  Holes are pre drilled for 4 inch laundry tub fixtures but I want to mount a regular kitchen faucet.  The "plumber" at Home Depot said I could drill new holes and use regular faucet as long as it had a platform.  Will it work?  Thank you so much.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202696348/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202508742/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=

Answer
Hi Debbie,
4" centers for the faucet holes is standard.  Multiples of 4" can be used for a wide spread faucet eg: 8" or 12" spread.
The faucet you are showing me is a single mount that would actually require 3 holes on 4" centers.  One in the center for the water supply and one on either side for the mounting plate hold-down.  There should be mounting instructions with the faucet. The problem I see is a potential issue with the shape of the ledge on the back of the sink.  It needs to be flat for the entire width of the base plate of the faucet.  Hard to tell in the picture but that sink may not be that way. It is possible to modify it (called "hacking" in today's parlance) by grinding down any obstructions to get a flat surface.  That may be more than you were planning.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick