Plumbing in the Home/Sewer mainhole cover

Question
Hi Jay,

I'm looking for a house to buy.  This house has a sewer manhole cover on the backyard lawn. I'd like to know what are the cons of it like smell, sanitariness, intruder,...Thank you.

Answer
Chi, are you sure there is a sewer under the manhole cover? It is possible that it is a storm water  drain or perhaps an electrical conduit chamber. The best thing to do is contact your local building inspection office and ask them what it is. With all that being said, If it is for sure a sewer manhole, then there is a good possibility that sewer odors will be present especially on those hot summer days when the air is thick and not moving much. As for "sanitariness" if the line plugs down stream you could get a back-up and spillage on your lawn. Also, if it does plug, the municipality may  need to access the line from your yard.
J

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas