Plumbing in the Home/Tub faucet is dripping/trickling water all the time

Question
Hi Jay- My tub faucet recently started dripping. It's been in use for about 17 years so I thought replacing the fixture would help. I loosened the Allen screw, slid off the fixture, put the new one on and still leaking. When I had the fixture off the water was trickling steadily out of the pipe. I replaced the handle also but no luck. Is this a valve worn from use or something else? I would like to repair it myself if possible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
         Sincerely,
         M.G.

Answer
Mitch,  From your description it sound like you replaced the spout only , not the entire faucet. What it sounds like id the valves are leaking by. I would need to know what brand faucet you have also whether it is a one, two or three handle faucet? Does it have cartridges or is it the washer type? Is it a quarter turn or can you slow or stop the water by turning the handles harder? If you can get these answers to me I can help with the repair. Again, brand and type are very important to know how to fix it.

J

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas