Plumbing in the Home/Water heater test

Question
I have a gas water heat that is less than 5 years old and still under parts warranty.  The thermocouple and gas valve have been replaced, the thermocouple checked for millivolts and seating, the gas pressure has been checked, and in all cases there is a pilot, but after bleeding the line multiple times, the pilot will not stay lit.  Now the manufacturer wants a "static manifold test."  Have you heard of this test and what it is for? For that matter, any other suggestions for me.  No hot water in 4 days. Thanks

Answer
Dave, The test is to check gas flow. I don't think that is the issue here. Your description of the problem leads me to think that perhaps the pilot orifice is obstructed. Pull the pilot assembly apart and with a torch tip cleaner, clean the orifice and very, very slightly open it up a tiny bit. This will give you a stronger pilot and will keep the thermocouple hotter. The pilot may look ok but sometimes a few degrees hotter does the trick.

Plumbing in the Home

Jay Nicholas