Plumbing in the Home/Baseboard heating problem

Question
QUESTION: Hi Tom,
I have a 2 floor apartment. Downstairs is the kitchen & bath.
Upstairs is the bedroom. My heat in the bathroom is attached to
the thermostat upstairs, which makes no sense. So, the downstairs
thermostat only controls the kitchen. Someone told me this is a wiring issue, where another has said it has something to do with the piping in the bathroom. I'm wondering what I can do to correct this. If you have any idea, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

ANSWER: Dear Kathy,

The two thermostats mean that there are two zones to heat your apartment.  The first zone, and what the designers would have considered to be the more important would be the bedroom and bath.  The other zone is your kitchen and the rest of the apartment.

Since you mention piping, I would probably guess that you have a hot water heating system.  If that is the case, then the thermostats control either a valve or a pump for each zone.  So, the limitation that you have to work with is that the Kitchen is plumbed (pipes) for one zone, and the bathroom and bedroom are plumbed (piped) together to create the other zone.

If your concern is that you want to set the temperature in the bathroom, then you could have the thermostat relocated to the bathroom from the bedroom.  That would mean a change in the wiring and probably would not be too difficult for someone who has done this before.  That would mean that you would not be controlling the temperature in the bedroom but since heat rises the upstairs should always be warmer than the downstairs.  Especially if you keep the inside doors open.

If you would like some more information or some exact advice, please send me some information about the heating system and the floor plan of the apartment.

QUESTION: Hi Tom,
Thank you for your prompt answer! What I'd like to know is if it
is possible to have the bathroom heat moved onto the kitchen
thermostat which is downstairs, so that I don't have to turn the bedroom heat on.
It is much warmer already upstairs.
Thank you again!

Answer
Hi Kathy,

I just don't have enough information about the system to give you a good answer about that.
If the design of the system is that the bathroom and bedroom are in a continuous loop then it would be very complicated and pricey to change it.

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler