Plumbing in the Home/pine tree roots

have..i have discovered considerable damage to the plumbing under the kitchen floor caused by the roots of a very large pine tree just outside the kitchen. since having the tree cut down is nothing we can afford, is there anything i can do to insure the new pipes put in will not suffer the same fate?  thank you!!

Hi James,
The new pipes will probably be PVC or ABS plastic (or should be) and not the old cast iron with hub & spigot joints that allow tree roots inside. Plastic piping uses solvent weld joints that effectively become one piece with no voids to allow the tree roots in.
Good Luck,

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick

Pretty much any residential plumbing questions. For "item specific" details such as a specific model of fixture, I will need to research and there may not be any useful information available. Note: I live and work in Southern California. We do not, as a rule, use hot water or steam heating systems, oil fired boilers or private water wells so my knowledge in those areas is pretty limited. There are others here on AllExerts that can probably answer those questions better.

Retired, Licensed General Contractor with Plumbing license. Active Home Inspector, Litigation Consultant and Infrared Thermographer, Online Marketing specialist.

Publications "Rain Maker" as "Inspector Dana", about making money online.

30+ years in the building trades, Licensed General Contractor (Retired), Certified Infrared Thermographer Internet Entrepreneur, Amazon & eBay Merchant (deals-by-dana)

Listed FHA Fee Inspector, FHA 203(k)Consultant, HUD Mobile Home Inspector

Home buyers, sellers and owners, Investors, Commercial roofing companies (infrared roof scans for moisture intrusion, Litigation Consulting for "Slumlord" laws in SoCal