Plumbing in the Home/pine tree roots

hi..lately i have discovered that the very large pine trees we have at home are causing damage to our plumbing under the kitchen floor. we had to have the floor torn up in the damaged area and i see all sorts of pieces of limbs in there. since having those big trees cut down is something we cant afford; thousands of dollars, i am wondering if there is anything we can do to prevent the roots from growing into the pipes. thank you!!

Hi James,  Sorry to hear about the root problem.  There is really only a couple of options for you that will be truly effective for you.

The idea of cutting down the trees is not a good one even if you could afford it.... a tree's roots can continue to grow for as many as ten years after the tree is cut down.  Tree roots have it in their nature to seek out water sources, they have amazing abilities to break through rock and can secrete corrosive acids or other substances which help them to grow through the joints of metal pipes or small cracks in a pipe.

The first option would be to deal with the roots on a semi-annual basis.... that means cutting them from the inside of the pipe using a rotary snake and then adding a root destroying chemical treatment.... usually something like copper sulfide.

The better option because it offers a more permanent solution would be to replace the old pipes with PVC.  PVC and the glue that is used to join the sections is very resistant to roots provided that they are properly sealed.  

Plumbing in the Home

Thomas Ambler

I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.

I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.