Plumbing in the Home/sewage pipe

Question
I have a septic tank. I need to replace the pipe from the cleanout. It is only about 20 feet long. I have all the parts.
I bought pvc pipe, however, it is not schedule 40. The guy at Lowes said the thinner pipe would be fine for my needs. A friend came over and told me since it is not that far below ground, that I need a sturdier pipe schedule, i.e. sched. 40.
Is that true? The pipe we are replacing in very thin, but it did end up with holes from tree roots.

Answer
Hi Janet,
Frost line is not an issue for you most likely but the "standard depth" for burial is 18 inches minimum.  Obviously, this depends on the depth of the inlet to the septic tank. You need to maintain the proper 1/4 inch/foot of slope. That would be 5 inches drop over a 20 foot run.

While thinner wall pipe might work just fine, the consequences of a sewage spill from a broken line can be quite expensive to clean up. Your call.
Good Luck,
Dana

Plumbing in the Home

Dana Bostick