Plumbing in the Home/sink pipe


QUESTION: I am trying to replace a jay bend in my sink that cracked. I got the appropriate 1 and 1/4 size, however, the with of the j bends on the market are about a quarter to a half inch thicker for some reason. I do not mean the part you screw, I am referring to the width of the entire product. I tried to push the pipe into the fall to make it screw in, but I am afraid this will eventually cause a leake.
I am not able to find the original size. what do I do?

ANSWER: Dear Lisa,

I am suggesting the following link to help you with this project.

Most sink traps come in two diameters... 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" taking a part of the old trap with you can help to match that size properly.

The next issue is that chrome or metal traps are sized differently than plastic traps. So it doesn't work very well to mix plastic and metal parts of a trap.

Traps also come in different configurations and the J and U bends can be different too.

If the piece which goes into the wall is too long, then you will want to remove it and cut some off from the end to shorten it.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: first, thanks so much for responding. much appreciation. I know it is a 1 and 1/4, I am not changing materials, going metal to metal. I do not have the capacity to cut a pipe and the jay bend is so old that the manufacturers are not making that size any more. the company is WB wolverine and they told me they only work with plumbers and gave me the name of one..who has not called back. The company won't send me the part and I have no way of knowing if it is even the right part. I have tried three different jay bends and they are all a quarter to a half inch to big. if cutting the pipe is my only option ,then I suppose it is time to call a plumber. Is is possible to get a plastic flexible one?

Dear Lisa,

These traps are kind of tricky items to deal with and because of age and corrosion and stuff can be a lot of trouble if you don't have parts and tools right at hand.

It does sound like calling a plumber would be the best solution.  Don't worry about the manufacturer.  Any contractor that you might call should have the tools and parts that he needs and this should not be a very difficult or expensive job.  I would try to find one that will give you a free estimate after coming to look at it.

Plumbing in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Thomas Ambler


I am experienced at troubleshooting and solving all types of plumbing problems. Issues related to specific manufacturers fixtures and specifications though are beyond my field of expertise. I have dealt with problems in both rural and urban areas, and with water supply and drainage systems. Plumbing issues can be very obscure... such as odors, stains or occasional seepage. I have even had to chase rats from a customer's sewer line.


I have 25 years experience dealing with plumbing systems (which also includes hot water and steam heating systems). My main expertise is in diagnosing and solving problems. I have worked in construction and installation of new systems but do not regard myself as an expert in that area.

Asbury Park Press, Seattle Times, Denver Post.

I completed high school and one year of college. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps and have education in electronic and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I have attended classes on installing and repair of oil burners, and I have EPA universal certification for air conditioning and refrigeration. I am now enrolled as a full-time student at Everest college to re-train for a new career. Any donations of financial support would be greatly appreciated.

Past/Present Clients
All of Denny's Restaurants in NJ, Several Burger King stores, I have done work at two different homes for Bruce Springsteen. I have also worked for Jim Johnson (of J&J) and his family, Whitney Houston, Steve Forbes and many others.

©2017 All rights reserved.